Home How To What Is Nearby Sharing and How to Enable It on Windows 11?What Is Nearby Sharing and How to Enable It on Windows 11?
- On the Nearby Sharing settings page, select whether you want to share files, photos, and links with all available devices nearby or only your own devices. Your preference will be auto-saved for future use.
Note: By default, shared files are saved in the ‘Downloads’ folder. However, you can click the ‘Change’ button next to the ‘Save files I receive to’ option on the Nearby Settings page to specify where you want to save the received files.Share Files via Nearby Sharing in Windows 11
First off, to share documents or images between two devices via Nearby Sharing, you must enable the feature on both Windows 10 or 11 computers. After that, follow the guide below to proceed further.
- Use File Explorer to navigate to the file you want to share on your PC. Now, right-click on the target file and select ‘Show more options‘.
- On the next context menu, select ‘Share‘.
- If there are no available devices, Windows will ask you to make sure that the target device has sharing turned on. If there are multiple available devices, select the name of the device you want to share files with. You will now see a ‘Sharing to [PC name]’ notification while your computer is waiting for the other device to accept the sharing request.
Note: On the receiving PC, select either ‘Save‘ or ‘Save & open‘ to save the incoming file.Share Website Links From Microsoft Edge via Nearby Sharing
You can also share links to any website or web page using Nearby Sharing in Microsoft Edge if both computers are running Windows 10 or Windows 11. Once you have ensured that, follow the guide below to share links to web pages via Nearby Sharing on Windows 11.
- Open Microsoft Edge and navigate to the website or web page you want to share. Then, click on the ellipsis (three-dot menu button) at the top-right and select ‘Share‘ from the drop-down menu.
- The name of the recipient’s PC will popup in the space where it says ‘Make sure other devices have sharing turned on‘. Once you select the recipient’s PC from the list, it will need to accept the sharing request to access the content.
Disable Nearby Sharing in Windows 11
Once you no longer have anything to share, it’s best to keep the Nearby Sharing feature disabled. Here’s how you do that:
- Navigate to Settings -> System -> Nearby Sharing, as explained earlier. Here, under Nearby Sharing, select ‘Off‘ using the radio button next to it.
That’s it! You have successfully disabled Nearby Sharing on your Windows 11 PC.
Easily Share Content Between Windows PCs With Nearby Sharing
As you can see, it is easy to enable Nearby Sharing on your Windows 11 computer. Now that you know how to do that, check out how you can easily enable Nearby Share on your Android device. If you use an Apple Watch, you might also be interested in knowing how to share photos via Messages and Mail on Apple Watch. Finally, Chromebook users need not worry, as you can also enable Android’s Nearby Share function on your Chromebook to share files with other devices.