Home Windows How to Transfer Windows 10 License to a New ComputerHow to Transfer Windows 10 License to a New Computer
Apart from that, you must ensure the same edition of Windows 10 is installed on both the computers. For example, if you have an activated Windows 10 Home PC then you can only transfer the license to another Windows 10 Home PC.
Also, if you are swapping a new hard disk on an old laptop or PC then you don’t have to do anything. Just do a fresh installation of Windows 10 and the OS will automatically pick the product key since the license is tied to the motherboard. You just have to choose the correct edition during the installation. Having said that, if it asks for a product key during the process, simply choose “I don’t have a product key” and proceed with the installation. Later, Windows 10 will automatically activate itself after connecting to Microsoft servers.
So those are some key points to keep in mind before transferring a Windows 10 license. If you fulfill these criteria, you can go ahead and move to a new PC with your license intact.1. Transfer Windows 10 License Key
1. First and foremost, open the start menu and search for “cmd”. Now, click on “Run as administrator” in the sub-section.
2. After that, type the following command and hit enter to de-register the product key from your old computer.smlgr.vbs /upk
3. Now, execute another command to remove the product key from Windows Registry.smlgr.vbs /cpky
- Re-activate Windows 10 License on New Machine
1. You have successfully removed the Windows 10 license from your old computer. Now, move to your new computer and open Command Prompt in a similar fashion as described in the above section.
2. Replace “xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx” with your actual product key and execute the below command. Voila, you have successfully transferred your Windows 10 license to a new system.slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
3. Alternatively, you can follow this path to activate the new computer: Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & security -> Activation -> Change the product key. Here, enter the license key and you are done.
4. If the new machine is still not activated then you can call Microsoft Support to manually transfer the license key. To do so, press Windows and R keys at once and a small Run window will appear at the left corner. Now type the below command and hit enter.slui.exe 4
5. An activation wizard window will open up. Here, select your country and click on the “Next” button.
6. You will find the toll free number of Microsoft Support. Call them and provide your Installation ID as shown on the screen. Following that, you will get a confirmation ID from Microsoft Support.
7. Click on the “Enter Confirmation ID” button and fill in the details. Now, click on the “Activate Windows” button and finally your new PC will be activated.
2. Transfer a Windows 10 License with Microsoft Account
If you hold a retail-digital license of Windows 10 then moving to a new system is even easier. Follow these steps below to seamlessly activate your new computer.
1. On your old computer, open Settings -> Accounts -> Your Info and click on “Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead”. Now, enter your account credentials and link the PC to your Microsoft account.
2. After that, open Settings -> Update & security -> Activation and check if it’s showing “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account”. If so, you are good to go.
3. Now, move back to your new computer and sign in with the same Microsoft account. After that, open Settings -> Update & security -> Activation and you will find your new system is activated.
SEE ALSO: How to Legally Get Windows 10 Key for Free or Cheap in 2019Save Money by Transferring Windows 10 License Key
So those are the two ways you can transfer a Windows 10 license to another computer. Both methods are quite simple and straightforward so you can easily get a licensed copy without spending extra bucks. I have also shared some alternate ways to re-activate Windows 10 on the new computer in case you face any problem. Having said that, if you are still unable to transfer your Windows 10 license then comment down below and let us know. We will surely try to help you out.