Home Windows How to Delete WinSxS Folder on Windows 10How to Delete WinSxS Folder on Windows 10
It would be wrong to say that Microsoft didn’t try to fix the issue. Currently, Windows 10 comes with an automated maintenance service that cleans up files that have been superseded after a month. However, users report that it does not work as intended so there is that. Anyway, now that we have understood the issue at hand, we will go through the steps to reduce the size of the folder in a way it does not hamper your system’s stability.
Steps to Clean Up WinSxS Folder
We will go through a two-step process to complete this task. First, we will use an internal tool and then move to a manual cleanup method. Now having said that, let’s begin.
- Reduce Folder Size Using the DISM Tool
We are going to use the DISM Tool (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to clean up the folder. DISM tool is used to keep the Windows image intact and prepare for recovery environments.
1. Press Windows key once and type “cmd” in the search box. After that, click on “Run as Administrator” in the sub-menu.
2. Once the Command Prompt window is open, execute the below command to check if redundant files are available in the folder. If it says cleanup recommended at the bottom then move to the next step.
dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
3. Now, execute the second command to finally start the cleanup process. After the process is completed, you are done. The WinSxS folder should free up considerably.
Note: The process may take some time so keep patience.dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Delete Update Files Using Disk Cleanup
1. Right-click on the OS drive (generally, C drive) and open “Properties”. Here, click on “Disk Cleanup”.
2. Next, click on the “Clean up system files” button at the bottom-left.
3. Now, uncheck all the boxes and select “Windows Update Cleanup” at the top. After that, click on the “OK” button. Voila, a huge amount of update files in the WinSxS folder will be deleted instantly. Now, restart your PC and you will find the OS drive taking less space.
This should sufficiently release storage on your Windows machine and make it faster. One thing to note here is that sometimes if the PC is too old, it’s better to just reset Windows 10 to get a clean start. Do remember to take a backup of your Windows 10 PC before you go through the resetting process.Delete WinSxS Folder and Regain Space
So that was our guide on how to delete the WinSxS folder and free up the OS drive. The reason Windows slows down after years of usage is because of these files clogging the crucial memory space. So, if you want to speed up your computer, reducing the WinSxS folder would also make a huge difference in performance. Anyway, that is all from us. If you want to learn more about Windows 10 then do comment down below and let us know.